Crescent Shipping Lines Limited (CSL) was a subsidiary of a Public Limited Company namely Crescent Textile Mills Ltd (CTML) that belonged to M/s. Muhammad Amin Muhammad Bashir Limited (MAMB). MAMB Group was the leading exporters of Cotton of the country and were called as “Cotton King”. During Ayub Khan era the sponsor’s family was one of the top 22 families of
During early 1959 Field Marshal Ayub Khan emphasized the need for a Passenger cum Cargo Ship to provide service between East and West Pakistan and advised Mian Muhammad Bashir to acquire a ship suitable for the requirement of Passenger and Cargo traffic between the two wings of
Accordingly, in early 1959 the MAMB Group established a Private Limited Company namely Crescent Shipping Lines (CSL) with a paid up Capital of Rs.4.4 million. Its major shares worth Rs.4 million were held by CTML, Rs.0.2 million by MAMB and Rs.0.2 million by 14 sponsors. Since the MAMB Group did not have the expertise in shipping, it appointed Mr. Gert Beaulau (a German National, an expert in shipping) as Manager and Mr. Zafar Ahmed, a Senior Chief Engineer, as consultant.
MAMB (the Managing Agents for CSL) awarded a contract to M/s. Hitachi Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Limited,
to build a Passenger cum
Cargo Vessel on May 01, 1959 for about Rs.20 million under foreign exchange
loan and credit from National Bank of Pakistan (NBP). Osaka, Japan
The ship was named as MV Shams and was delivered on December 17, 1960. The launching ceremony was graced by Field Marshal Ayub Khan at Sakuranjima Shipyard,
. Osaka, Japan
MV Shams started regular passenger cum cargo service from January 1960 between East and West Pakistan providing an average of 13 round voyages per year on
/ Chittagong / Karachi route. This service continued till
the fall of Dacca
i.e. till end of 1971. During the disturbances in East
Pakistan in 1971, MV Shams on her last voyage was stuck up at Chalna.
Fortunately she managed to sail out from there with more than 3500 passengers
on board in emergency, before the mines were laid in .
She arrived safely at Pussur River Karachi and disembarked
the passengers at . West
Keeping in view the difficulties of the people of Gwadar, Pasni and Ormara, Field Marshal Ayub Khan advised Mian Muhammad Bashir to acquire a small passenger cum cargo vessel to meet the requirement of the people of
during the last quarter of 1961 CSL had acquired a secondhand vessel MV Mombasa
from BI Steamship Company Ltd. for over Rs.2 million under foreign exchange
loan and credit from Industrial Development Bank of Makran
Coast Pakistan. The vessel was renamed as
MV Kareem started regular passenger cum cargo service from January, 1962 on
/ Karachi / Colombo
/ Bombay / Karachi
till August, 1965. After Indo Pakistan War in September, 1965, the vessel was
put on Karachi / Makran
Coast / Karachi
and Karachi / Persian Gulf / Karachi till 1966. The vessel was sold for
scrap in 1967.
During 1972 and 1973 MV Shams was carrying Pilgrims during Haj season and during off Haj season the vessel was employed as cargo ship on
Karachi / Far East / Karachi